My life experiences.

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Day of Reckoning



A thunderous moan came roaring from my stomach we were an hour into this battle of wills and while hell bent on the completion of our challenge, doubt was creeping into the back of our minds. As I chewed the now room temperature beef brisket I had a feeling that the next few hours would not be comfortable. I was right...

Today is a day that I will remember for the rest of my life. Now this isn't because I had some epiphany, accomplished some great feat or got married. No my friends today was the day that I knew was coming and I knew I would face one of the biggest challenges of my life.

The challenge?

The All American Feast from Famous Dave's BBQ



You can barely even see the 22oz of ribs stacked like mountains in the background





This signature platter was made to serve 4 to 5 hearty individuals and send them home with a doggy bag. But today wasn't a day for leftovers. Fellow warrior Ryan Mizer and I set out to take down this colossal plate all by ourselves, leaving nothing but a graveyard of bones and corn Cobb's.

The first 20 minutes flew by, it was like mowing down an appetizer before the main course. We threw the corn Cobb's aside and moved onto bigger things. After 25 minutes we realized we hadn't made much headway. Stacked two rows high were an abundance of Ribs next to pretty much every other meat available.

Mizer joked that they should have a guy in a pig costume cheering us on getting a continuos clap going as we neared the finish. I told him that would probably happen not in real life, but in a hallucination as all the blood that was in our heads was currently in our stomach's working on digestion.

It was around this time when the waitress politely asked if we'd like boxes which we chuckled and declined with a cocky look on our faces, we knew what we were here to do.

An hour in and a bathroom break each later, we had accomplished what few men could possibly aspire too. It was gone, all of it except the bones, Cobb's and a bit of the baked beans which were basically non edible by the time we finished.

The total count?

22 oz of Ribs, a solid 1 to 2 lbs of potato wedge fries, beef brisket and pulled pork over 2 pieces of toast. 4 corn Cobb's, 3 large chicken legs and thighs, 4 corn bread muffins and 2 large sides of coleslaw and baked beans and a sampling of 8 sifferent BBQ sauces that covered basically everything.

Hours later as I reflected on this gluttonous day, I thought, what a prefect day to have before starting a strict diet. I may not eat meat for an entire week, then again I may eat some tomorrow.

Not a bad Sunday, not at all.

No comments: